Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: How much knee flexion in depth jumps?

Quote Originally Posted by bball2020
    Well for the hell of it heres a video of me doing a depth jump, any thoughts on form knee flexion etc?
    If you're doing it for reactive strength jumping as high as you can, then there's undoubtly too much knee flexion. Your jump actually looks more like a counter movement jump.
    Have a look at what high jumpers do to get an idea of correct knee angles.

Quote Originally Posted by tamfb
    Your GCT look super slow, also i think you could use a lower box bc ur landing mech look like a weak point.
    Yep, try to cut almost .1 off your contact time.

Well for the hell of it heres a video of me doing a depth jump, any thoughts on form knee flexion etc?

[youtube]lW4ArnvjUQc[/youtube]

You definitely seem to me like a candidate for some lower intensity plyos like hurdle hops.
    A few months of those, concentrating on decreasing GCT should prepare you well for DJs.
    You could do smaller height DJ, but hurdle hops would be probably more convenient since you don't need to reset for every jump (you can go 5-6 jumps in a row).
    Just my opinion.

You have to be super careful about limiting knee flexion. If lesser bend is desired, height must be decreased as well. I tore my tendon right off the patella falling off a drop of 8 inches or so. Granted this was one leg, off-balance, etc. but you get the picture. Your muscles aren't the only limiting factor.

I understand my GCT is not fast, but that is not really my goal, my goal is to get as high as possible from this height, and since it is equal to my vertical the height is not a problem, according to verkhoshansky when doing shock gct is not the most important thing to worry about, landing soft and jumping high..

I understand my GCT is not fast, but that is not really my goal, my goal is to get as high as possible from this height, and since it is equal to my vertical the height is not a problem, according to verkhoshansky when doing shock gct is not the most important thing to worry about, landing soft and jumping high..

Ok, so dont ask what people think since you have all your data from verk.

James what are your thoughts on these jumps? I know you used DJs with your combine guys.

Well you have to ask yourself if it's better to touch something lik like 9'10" with a .25 contact time or 10' with a .37 contact time (as in your video). If you wander into the world of specificity, you're rarely going to have .37.

I'm not saying either way is better than the other but I'd like to see something .30 or under. If .30 is not achievable, I would look to depth landing work.

Quote Originally Posted by trackfan1010
    James what are your thoughts on these jumps? I know you used DJs with your combine guys.

"I had my proday guys who varied in weight between 195-260 all work up to a 30" drop height. The stronger more reactive guys were able to start with the higher drop while a few others started around 18" and worked up to 30" over the course of 2-3 weeks".

I happened to see James's pro day guys jump from close to the same height as myself and it looked pretty simlair. Tam why you gotta get all angry man, theres different ways to give advice other than the ground contact time stuff

anyways heres two more depth jump videos that i have taken before...

[youtube]M3ORt6mmolM[/youtube]

[youtube]Ed_ecLKfm6Y[/youtube]