Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plyo Volume and Rest

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    While they enjoy the occasional challenge of seeing who can jump up onto the highest box, from a training standpoint, I have them jump onto the highest box they can while landing no lower than a parallel squat position and under full control (softest landing possible).
    I love box jumps, but I'm afraid to do them since that year in college when I had the accident of not making it all the way up, which left me with two identical oval marks on my shins, that even Charlie once spotted and couldn't believe the stupidity of the trainers for their thoughtlessness in prescribing such height, after such session we had done. In group settings, it's dangerous, and hard to know how tired each athlete is at that point.
    (the pain of hitting the shins was so intense to the point of vomiting) - so be careful...

I use 105cm box. No walk in. Just squat and jump. Currently doing 2x10r with about 3/4mins recovery between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I love box jumps, but I'm afraid to do them since that year in college when I had the accident of not making it all the way up, which left me with two identical oval marks on my shins, that even Charlie once spotted and couldn't believe the stupidity of the trainers for their thoughtlessness in prescribing such height, after such session we had done. In group settings, it's dangerous, and hard to know how tired each athlete is at that point.
    (the pain of hitting the shits was so intense to the point of vomiting) - so be careful...
    Certainly a factor. We're fortunate in that the adjustable boxes that we have are padded one could literally land on their shins comfortably

That being said, I never require my skill guys to test on a box; and again, my guys rarely use the box to begin with.

are plyos one of those things that that the better one is at jumping, the harder they are on the system?

like in sprinting a 14s 100m guy could probably run speed like 5 days a week and be fine, but a 10 sec sprinter has to be much more careful.

in stefanie's post it has advanced athletes doing a higher workload than beginners, but im assuming someone with a 40" vertical counts as adavanced, and each jump has to be much more tolling if its 40' high as opposed to a beginner jumping like 20". does recovery need to be longer and volume less for better jumpers?

sorry, double post

Quote Originally Posted by hemann View Post
    whats the need to even do box jumps? They are quite dangerous if you ever want to challenge yourself. Single and double leg speed and power hops are better don't you think?
    Re: their use, read James' post #5 above. They are not dangerous, if you are reasonable. I would stay away from single leg jumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by tb2010 View Post
    are plyos one of those things that that the better one is at jumping, the harder they are on the system?
    Generally speaking, yes.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski View Post
    Generally speaking, yes.
    so does it make sense for advanced jumpers to do more plyometric volume than intermediate? im a bit confused

single leg jumps seem awesome. Whats the beef? Too long gct?

Quote Originally Posted by tb2010 View Post
    so does it make sense for advanced jumpers to do more plyometric volume than intermediate? im a bit confused
    It makes sense to think that the quality/stress of the jumps of an advanced jumper will be higher per unit of work. Hence, the same or more volume vs. an intermediate jumper may cause him more harm than good. Charlie used to say that NBA players (should) do no jump work during the season, because they jump all the time in 1-2 games per week -and they jump good! No need for more of the same... Similarly, for a sprinter you should save quality for the track work and use supplementary elements as needed.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by hemann View Post
    single leg jumps seem awesome. Whats the beef? Too long gct?
    This beef is risky to taste!