Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: achilles tendonitis and scar tissue

achilles tendonitis and scar tissue

If the achilles tendonitis starts to form scar tissue, what's the best option: directly massage on the tendon to create the required blood flow, or EMS/massage the gastrocnemius, which is where the blood flow starts to go down from, into the tendon in question?

(The second point of view says that it's not good to directly massage on the hurt tendon).

Help much appreciated.

Much will be dependant on the therapist you are seeing however, you may find it initially quite tender to do to much directly on the tendon so this may impact your initial strategy. Obviously at some point you need to begin with some gentle strokes / massage will need to be performed directly on the site.

Thank you Spike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    If the achilles tendonitis starts to form scar tissue, what's the best option: directly massage on the tendon to create the required blood flow, or EMS/massage the gastrocnemius, which is where the blood flow starts to go down from, into the tendon in question?

(The second point of view says that it's not good to directly massage on the hurt tendon).

Help much appreciated.
    Correctly address the origin both of inflammation and scar tissue,which is NOT in the tendon.
    Knowledge belongs to the world. (Synapse)

Where would the scar tissue be?

Quote Originally Posted by pakewi View Post
    Correctly address the origin both of inflammation and scar tissue,which is NOT in the tendon.

Do you recommend to look for the cause of the inflammation and not just treat the site of the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post

Help much appreciated.
    Hi Stephanie,

I have a very bad case of achilles tendontitis as well. The only thing I can remember just before I strained it I had really bad cramps in my calves one day while training. My calf was still sore a few days later but didnt think anything of it. I kept training on the sore calf then a few sessions later it was full blown pain in the morning. I think my calves were not firing properly after the cramps and it may have caused my problem. I dont have time for therapy right now (kids/work/home stuff) But I cant really massage the painful area right now. It feels good but the next day it's too sore. I think massaging the calf and and above the injured area helps me. Ice at the end of the day and maybe some asprins. Also be careful about the shoes you wear. make sure they dont cut into the insertion of the tendon too much. Hot shower helps in the morning. Kensio tape help a little too.

Sorry for the rambling :-) Just trying to help..

Quote Originally Posted by mortac8 View Post
    Where would the scar tissue be?
    The scar tissue may be there,and methods which directly address it may help. Not so for what causes the scar tissue to be there first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by nycjay01 View Post
    Do you recommend to look for the cause of the inflammation and not just treat the site of the pain?
    Yes. Otherwise the existing limitations now revealing themselves as an Achilles' issue will keep on producing their outcomes,when not there somewhere else!