Diack: False Start Rule Stays
'No Chance' of Rule Change, IAAF Chief Says
Published: September 3, 2011 at 3:33 AM ET
DAEGU, South Korea (Reuters) - Athletics chief Lamine Diack maintained the hardest of lines on Saturday, telling Reuters there would be no changing or bending of the rules to prevent big names being disqualified.
"No chance," the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) president said in an interview at the Daegu world championships.
The start of the championships was marred by the disqualification of two of the sport's biggest names on technicalities, depriving fans and broadcasters of the chance to see the greatest names in the biggest races.
The world's fastest man Usain Bolt was scratched from the 100 meters final for making a false start under the IAAF's one-false-start-and-you're-out rule.
A day later, Cuba's Dayron Robles was dramatically stripped of his 110 meters hurdles gold medal for bumping China's Liu Xiang along the track.
The rules are the rules, Diack stressed, and they are good ones. He said that the biggest eye-opener of the championships so far had been Bolt's disqualification but that he had seen nothing to persuade him any rules needed changing.
"I think it was Bolt disqualified by false start, I did not expect this," he chuckled, when asked what had surprised him most about these Games.
"(But) I work for this rule. I like very much this rule, I vote for having this rule.
"(In the past) all athletes have the possibility to have one (false start), so you can have eight," he said, warming to his theme in a suite of the south-east Korean city's Inter-Burgo hotel.
"Think about television... it was disturbing to have everybody able to make a false start.
"After that we said 'one'. And we see that some are making it voluntarily and still stay in the competition. So now we say we do not want one voluntarily disturbing the competition.
"So I am happy with the rule," he added, stressing there was "no chance" of changing it.
"He (Bolt) understands that because he made a false start and immediately he takes off his T-shirt and says 'ok I go out'."
The 78-year-old Senegalese was equally dismissive of any suggestions of leniency for burly world record holder and Olympic champion Robles in the traditionally physical 110 meters hurdles.
"I am in favor (of the disqualification).
"If he obstructs Liu he has to be disqualified. But not to ask the others to re-run. I don't know why you ask the others of the eight to run because Mr Robles obstruct Mr Liu.
"He has to be out... it is the rule."
(Editing by John O'Brien)
Connect with The New York Times
Interesting that Diack confirms the no-break start rule was brought in primarily for television... but I'd rather watch the tension build in the sprints than see the third heat of the 800m in the heptathlon plod around. If TV wants to save time and stick more advertisements into their coverage, do it when the no-hopers are trundling around.
I agree with the elimination of the first rule... That was ridiculous. The second rule... Allowing only one start was fair. The introduction of the current rule was bad move... It's bad that many have to be punished for the stupidity of a few. Oh well, life goes on.
and he can go suck himself
people don't cry, it's good rule
It's a bullshit rule. The 100m is a sport determined by speed and they are saying that athletes have to hold back for the happiness of TV audiences and commercial interests. The athletes are being hurt to sell more ad revenue. That's bullshit. It's not sports. And it will hurt them down the road when nobody sees the biggest names in the sport finishing a race. Then they'll rescind it because it ends up costing them money. Still the wrong reason but at least the athletes won't be hurt for the glee of the spectators and channel owners.
Originally Posted by Linas
I know it's sad what's happened with Bolt, but I think he won't repeat FS anymore. My main reason is that it prevents gamesmanship. The race starts when the gun goes off and not before. Guessing the gun is cheating. In swimming no problem. Train for it, wait for the gun sound and run! How many times Asafa Powell FS? He ran many races
Originally Posted by lylemcd
Should they also remove the "one-step on the line and out" rule in the 200? What if Bolt stepped on the line in the heats? IMO, that's a harder one not to violate than waiting for the gun to start.
You can step on the outside line not the inside one because you are shortening the distance.
I wonder what the fastest man in the world thinks of the false start rule.
Diack is a dope. Most of the IAAF professionals were actually happy with the old start rule dating back to 1908. Off the record they would confide this to be fact. I prefer the one break and a warning to the entire field, brought in a few years ago. But no-start is no brains. And gamesmanship will always be part of the game. What about ther Blake Shake? He says he always does that! Why! Kick him out too? Why not just cancel the 100 altogether. Diack back to Senegal where you can rule happily ever after. Sadly while he remains the choice of least controversy for IAAf president, the Council will comply with whatever are his wishes. Including this no-break rule. It stinks.