Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre-meet practice

Pre-meet practice

I was just wondering what most people or coaches recommend for the pre meet practice. The day before a meet for sprinters. I've heard just a warmup. Some people do a couple of starts. I can see the starts being a good way to rev the cns up. Thoughts?

Re: Pre-meet practice

injured myself once while doing starts a day before a comp. will never do that again, but a dynamic warm-up is a pretty good idea

I usually do a warmup and sometimes starts. What was the injury adonail?

Short Warmup with a couple short buildups+4-10 mb throws...

How many did u do before the injury and how far?

If i compete on saturday, I usualy do full warm up + 4 block starts on thursday; rest or easy warmup + bench (something like 3×3) on friday. I never do anykind of sprinting a day before meet.

For me it all depends on how the whole week is set-up. If the schedule has that particular week of training taking place between meets it changes what I can do with them. For my athletes the best set-up has been sub-max. speed with a low vol. jumps/mb throws (or none if the next comp. is major) and weights two days out and the day before the meet either total rest or just warm-up. Most prefer a w-u but a few others like total rest the day before.

If they had a meet on Sat. and the next meet starts the following Friday then the pre-meet day becomes very low. vol. of sub-max speed/starts along with a very low volume of mb throws/jumps and maybe an upper body lift only.

There are various options regarding this topic mentioned in CF's Key Concepts that I found very helpful.

pfaff will do full warm-up and hurdle jumps and starts. Brauman does warm-up starts and accels out 30-60m. I dont like doing that, but it's working for two top coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    How many did u do before the injury and how far?
    I did way too many was doing starts + around 5m

Not to say this protocol can't work for others, I can easily see It work with dynamic warm-ups and 4-5 starts...

does anyone ever do something else to stimulate the cps that doesn't involve using the legs? for instance, that is what charlie liked to use the bench press for. he could get the system firing without causing fatigue in the legs...