Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brain Fog

Re: Brain Fog

I would in the meantime keep everything aerobic, avoid the extra stresses La+ produces.

Quote Originally Posted by boldwarrior View Post
    I would in the meantime keep everything aerobic, avoid the extra stresses La+ produces.
    Problem is, I only really feel 'alive' atm when I'm trying some training. Obv at a reduced volume. I'm going back to the docs tomorrow.

Anyone got a recommendation on ALCAR dosage?

Ok so I went back to the docs today. Had a look down my throat and said it's inflamed and will be the cause of the fuzzy feeling i'm experiencing. It's a lingerer and will clear up gradually. Which can't come soon enough, as I'm lining up for the 100m in the Olympic stadium on Friday!

If you are still feeling this way, you might want to try contrast showers or some other means of alternating hot and cold. It's probably only going to be a short term fix in your case, since you have a viral issue, but you might find that it helps give you a short term boost immediately in concentration/intensity immediately following the therapy. Make sure the cold is very cold and being applied especially to temperature sensitive areas such as the plexus and neck. You want your heart rate to spike up and then come right back down once heat is applied. And, particularly if you are using a whole body method of temperature contrast, make sure to check muscle tonus before any high intensity work. Just a suggestion.

Update time.

I've still not shook off this illness, although the fog has eased momentarily on a couple of occasions. I'm going in for more blood tests tomorrow as the doc wants to test for mononucleosis (glandular fever).

I managed to compete in the Olympic stadium last week, hit a brick wall at 30 and held on for an 11.15 clocking... which isnt too bad considering how I feel. Reaction time was 0.17, it's usually 0.12-13

I'm not feeling too much fatigue, and strength training is going quite well. I have initial trials for the GB bobsleigh team on the 26th, and have been aiming to put size on for subsequent push trials, and have put on 3kg in as many weeks.

The doc told me the worst thing I can do is to stop training... I'm not sure how training effects a lingering virus, I know intense training is impossible with fully-fledged mono. But training doesn't seem to have made my illness any worse.

I've taken all you're suggestions into account and more are welcome.

Cheetah.

ALCAR - I take 1.5G Twice a day with caffeine

You need to test for Vitamin D, B12, Folic Acid, TSH, FT3, FT4, Potassium, Sodium, Iron and all of the usual athlete screens....

Go get em this season Ben ! Good luck !

I experienced "brain fog" for years and along with a few other things the doctors thought I might have MS. In the process of all this I discovered I was magnesium deficient. Basically when I take magnesium it's like I'm living in a whole new world. Hard to describe it. I can read for hours at a time, my sleeps are better, and my training is better. Here's a quick link that may help. http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Artic...um_Levels.aspx

Esp during summer, i need upwards of 3 x more Magnesium just to keep going. Otherwise i run out of steam and feel Bla.... for days.

What kind of dosages are you guys taking for magnesium? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ASheaff View Post
    What kind of dosages are you guys taking for magnesium? Thanks.
    That question is answered in the link I gave above.