Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 10X100m

Re: 10X100m

I think the athlete perceived it to be slower as they expected they would be working harder with the increase in reps and the need to accelerate twice as often (as opposed to 5 in the standard session). Although with the rolling start the effort to get up to speed was probably not as significant.

I will try and monitor the next session when this is done and then decide on the adjustments to be made (last session times were recorded by the athletes friend as i was away with work), it may be that the accuracy of times or commitment on the runs were not where they should be - my initial thoughts with this session were that the athlete should be running the reps at about 12.5-12.6, given the rolling start and their current conditioning level i wouldn't have expected them to have a large range (actual times ranged from 12.2-13.1, averaged to 12.75)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilders View Post
    Just like to get some input on the following session;

10x100m...

Rolling 100m in 12.75s (+/- 0.25)
    Recovery = 60s

I've been using this as a replacement for KK's 5x200 session as one of the athletes i'm coaching can only get access to a Football field at the moment. (Looking to run 49-50s for 400m)

I can't remember if there is a mention in the Lactate Thread of a similar session, i picked it up from somewhere on the forum quite a while ago.....

Ideally i'd like to know if the times are suitable (for a sub 50), if the recovery needs to change, or any amendments to improve it that would be of benefit.

Thanks in advance.

Gilders
    Whats your event and PB? Completing 10x100m @12.75 (+ or -.25) off 60s recovery means you have a highly trained glycolytic energy system.

Points to consider, in my view:

The average 100m split for a 49.00 second 400m performance is 12.25.
    It is reasonable to assume that an athlete capable of such a performance is able to run 100m from a rolling start in 11.0 seconds in a single set of 10 reps with appropriate recovery. As much fast relaxed running at a pace aound or quicker than 12.25 per 100m, particularly in a climate of endurance development would seem to me to offer enormous benefits to the one lap sprinter.
    The optimum range for Intensive Tempo work is around 85-90% effort. This range equates to between 12.95 (85%) and 12.22 (90%) for 100m reps.

Duration of recovery will depend on the training status of the athlete(s) concerned.
    I prefer experienced athletes to take 60 seconds recovery per 100m worked in such situations, but I think DMA's suggestion of extending this (my own suggestion would be 75 sec per 100m worked) has good foundation, particularly in developing athletes, depending on their level of maturation.

If you are using grass to work on, however, (you didn't specify) I would say your 12.75 target is a good one.
    The primary focus of all Intensive Tempo work should, of course, be on a sound technical model.
    Last edited by robins; 03-08-2013 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robins View Post
    Points to consider, in my view:

The average 100m split for a 49.00 second 400m performance is 12.25.
    It is reasonable to assume that an athlete capable of such a performance is able to run 100m from a rolling start in 11.0 seconds in a single set of 10 reps with appropriate recovery. As much fast relaxed running at a pace aound or quicker than 12.25 per 100m, particularly in a climate of endurance development would seem to me to offer enormous benefits to the one lap sprinter.
    The optimum range for Intensive Tempo work is around 85-90% effort. This range equates to between 12.95 (85%) and 12.22 (90%) for 100m reps.
    Just to clarify after making a pig's ear of my intended meaning in the above paragraph:

I didn't mean that a 49 sec 400m runner would be expected to run 10x 100m reps in 11 secs from a rolling start! I should have said that, s/he would be expected to run 11 sec from roll IN A SINGLE REP - thereby achieving a time on which to base the 85-90% effort (12.25) in a 10x 100m set, with appropriate recovery. If only my athletes were as quick on the track as they are to highlight my pc deficiencies!