Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Allan Wells Book of Sprinting

The Allan Wells Book of Sprinting

Does anyone own the Allan Wells Book of Sprinting? If so, is it a worthwhile book to buy (if it's still in print)?

aj1
    I have it...
    Its a totally different system to anything you read here..any is not really described in great detail...nice to read but there are better sources of information.
    AJ

Thanks aj1. ?Would you mind giving us a brief synopsis of Allan's training?
    I know that he did lots of speedball as well as chin ups, push ups, sit ups and bodyweight squats. I also heard he used to do plyos 6x week for 6 weeks before switching to the track. Is this correct?
    I haven't heard anything about the sort of track work he used to do. Would you care to fill me in on that?
    Thanks.

I remember reading the book a few years ago but it doesn't go into a great amount of detail. The 2nd Sprints & Relays book (Tafnews Press) had an article with info.

The basic Wells prgram was derived from a brilliant coach called Jim Bradley, which went pretty much like this:

Gym period - 6/8 weeks: bodyweight exercises and speedball.

Track period - 5 weeks: week 1, easy 120 yard runthroughs; wk 2, three-quarter pace 60s; wk 3, three-quarter pace 60-20-60s; wk 4, near max speed 60s; wk 5, near max speed 60-20-60s.

Blockwork - 6 weeks: start with 60 & 80 yards x 2 ... develop to 3x60 ... sometimes 2x60 or 60 & 80. Also introduce 30s. Race or Trial couple of times a week.

I believe Wells added his own plyos, as did many Scots sprinters who followed the Bradley basics.

I think the training of Allan Wells is definitely worth looking at, in order to see what can be done with incredibly meagre facilities. Those in a similar circumstance should look closely.

jacko
    neospeed, will put up some stuff tonight, don't have the book with me at the moment, on the balls stuff is correct, and probably a little more detailed in terms of track work.
    Jim Bradley coaches in Australia, his program has been used by a number of Australian sprinters to good effect.

Thanks ontheball. Do you know if Allan did any gym work at all during the 11 weeks of track work? Also, did he do any track work during the 6-8 weeks gym period, or just plyos?

Sorry about delay in getting back to you as I have been forced offline for a week.

I do not know from first-hand what Wells did re gym work during track phase. However, I did some training in the mid-80s with the coach Wells had from '78 onwards and we did plenty of abs after trackwork and sometimes burnout press ups eg press ups to max / 100 chinnies / press ups to max / 100 chinnies ... short, sharp and effective.

Re track work during gym phase. I believe that during the 60s, Bradley's sprinters might only have done a few runthroughs after their gym work, maybe three times a week, after initial soreness from gym work was gone.

Again, I don't know what Wells did but when I went over to Edinburgh in the mid-80s we mixed in a few sessions like 4x300 and 2x5x150 during the gym phase.

During track phase I think Wells, because he also competed over 200m, developed Bradley's 60-20-60 yard sessions (designed for the 120 yards of the New Year Sprint) to 60-20-70m.

Thanks ontheball. Interesting track work there with the 60-20-60s. I wonder why he went as short as 20m in the middle of 2 60s. Were these from blocks?
    Do you know if Allan has ever done any coaching of sprinters? Do you know what Allan is doing with himself these days?
    Cheers.

By the way, Jacko, if you could put up some info on Wells' training when you get a chance, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks mate.